The next phase of experimentation to see if I can figure out my accuracy issue involved eliminating the bipod as a means of support. Before testing that I shot 3 rounds as before to warm the barrel.
1.37”. The first 2 rounds went into the bull. I started thinking I had inadvertently cracked the secret code. Shot 3 kept me from getting too big a head.
Next followed the experimental group titled “bag instead of bipod”. I still used a rear bag as support. The front bag support did not appear as steady as a bipod. I had to work to keep the crosshairs centered on the bull. This is what happens when you forget to bring stuff to the range. It was better than the time I forgot to bring any ammo at all and had to drive all the way home and back.
This is the best group so far, 0.17” smaller than the control group. Not significant, especially for the sample size (what are ya gonna do? Ammo is scarce.) I’m tempted to try a steadier non-bipod rest and repeat.
I scheduled 2 experimental groups for the day, for a total of 13 rounds. The second group, continuing with the non-bipod shooting, was prone with the sling. I wasn’t feeling it, but shot the group. I had made a minor sling adjustment and it was too tight. The group was poor.
One week earlier, I had shot another 5 round prone group at the same range at precisely the same distance. That group did not follow the exact testing protocol, and was done under time stress. I did not have the luxury of worrying about the niceties of my position and did not notice any discomfort.
1.34”. Better than I had thought just by looking at it. 0.07” better than the control group, although I probably shouldn’t count it.
To be continued…