Now that my main rifle has a scope that is easy to adjust, and also allows for informed holdovers, I am suddenly inspired to commit my trajectory information to memory. Here’s how I’ve been going about doing that.
To facilitate my memorization I made a quick reference card to tape to my pocket notebook.
After I had my 50 yard increments down to where I could recall them every time, I started testing myself on my ability to guess on anything in between. If you imagine every segment as a trajectory in and of itself, and you know the elevation correction above and below, it doesn’t take long to get the hang of making a pretty good guess. I would say that 60% of the time my guess was right on with my data, and the other 40% of the time I was within 0.1 mils. The only thing is that it took too long to do even under completely relaxed circumstances. If I had been under stress it probably would not have worked for me.
The trajectory inside of 50 yards is pretty interesting and varies quite a bit for minor changes in distance. Luckily, unless you’re making a surgical shot this doesn’t matter much. I’m going to tackle that segment of my trajectory after I get my 50 yard increments out to 1200 down. So far, as far as within 50 yards is concerned, I can remember that at 10 yards my comeup is 4 mils, at 15 it’s 2.3, and at 25 it’s 1.0. I’ll get it down to 5 yard increments eventually.
I mentioned above about recalling the numbers or making a guess in between known increments under stress not being feasible at this point. I have to get them more hard wired, which I think will also allow me to have it down well enough to understand changes that environmental conditions will cause. I would like to learn them backward, i.e. be given a correction and relate it to the distance or distances to which it corresponds for my rifle. I think that, and a lot more time and practice, could make it happen.